4.5.14

My education, career and motherhood

Today I saw a post in Facebook that not only pissed me off, but put me on my soap box about education, careers and motherhood.

This person said he found it interesting that all these Mormon women were graduating from college and talking about their future careers when the church they claim to believe in wants them to just stay home and be a wife and mother.  

My short answer? Shut the eff up. 

My long answer? 

I challenge anyone to tell me my education, career and life experiences outside the home won't make me a better mother when my baby girl gets here. 

The thing that really bothered me about this post was the misinterpretation of doctrine. Yes mothers are meant to be in the home raising their children (among other things). But I have never seen a conference talk or scripture that says women in the church shouldn't get an education. In fact, I have read plenty of things on the contrary. 

Proverbs 4:7 Wisdom is the principal thing; therefore get wisdom: and with all they getting get understanding. 

D&C 90:15 And set in order the churches, and study and learn, and become acquainted with all good books, and with languages, tongues and people.

D&C 130:19 And if a person gain more knowledge and intelligence in this life through his (her) diligence and obedience than another, he (she) will have to much the advantage in the world to come.

D&C 131:6 It is impossible for a man (woman) to be saved in ignorance

Our minds are a beautiful gift from God and who are we to not use that gift? Getting a higher education doesn't take away from our divine calling to be wives and mothers. I believe for many of us, it will make us better.

Our loving Heavenly Father is just as proud when his daughters walk across the stage and get their diplomas as he is with his sons.

I don't like to get into arguments on facebook or add to the attention these kind of people are clearly seeking. but if I did, I would have asked this question: What are righteous latter day women supposed to do in the time after high school and before marriage and having kids?

Are we just supposed to sit around in our parents basement waiting for some man to marry us and take care of us? Are we not supposed to have our own dreams and ambitions?

Getting married is a sacred commandment and I believe it's one you can't and shouldn't rush into. I have friends & family who are in their mid twenties and not married...are you saying if they were true believers of the church they wouldn't be getting an education and pursuing a career?

And what about other young women who are married and still getting an education? (like myself). Do you honestly think our job in this world is to stop everything we are doing and everything we have ever dreamed of doing and start popping out babies? How much more sexist can you be?

My third anniversary is coming up this month and I will be 3 months away from having our first child. By the time my baby gets here I will have a Cosmetology License with 7+ years experience and I will have my bachelors degree with 2+ years experience in my chosen career. Do you think God is angry or disappointed in me for finishing my education and getting established in my career before having children? Because I don't. I know he is very proud of me and the choices I have made. I also believe that everything I have learned in the years I spent NOT having kids is going to make me a better mother.

Yes, our divine birthright as women is to have children and raise them up in righteous and loving homes. But God is not a one sided or one-track kind of a guy. I can be a mother, wife, sister, daughter, friend, journalist and hair stylist and be entitled to all the blessings a mother is given.

So for every person who graduated this week: Congratulations. Live your life. Have dreams and babies and don't think for a second you have to choose between the two.






No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...