15.6.15

New Recipe: Quinoa Enchilada Bake

A few weeks ago I was browsing my mom's cooking magazines and came across a very helpful table on how to cook different grains in the slow cooker. I hate waiting around for my brown rice to cook on the stove and I avoid quinoa because I just don't like it. But but but! I tried cooking both in my slow cooker last week and it worked out awesome. My brown rice was a little over cooked, so I will know to adjust accordingly next time.

What's that? You want me to share my vast cooking knowledge with you? OKAY!

Slow Cooker Whole Grains

Brown Rice
1 cup rice
2 cups water
cook for 3 hours high heat (I would check after 2.5 hours. You don't want it to get too mushy)
Yields about 3 cups cooked

Quinoa 
1 cup quinoa
2 cups broth (I used chicken)
any root veggies you want to add
cook for 2 hours low heat
Yields about 3 cups cooked

I searched for an edible recipe for the quinoa I just cooked up and found a yummy looking enchilada bake that used quinoa instead of tortillas. We love Mexican food around here, so as soon as I saw that it included green enchilada sauce I knew it would work for us. It was easy and pretty good! It only took a few minutes to throw together. The amounts below is what the recipe called for, but I more eyeballed the ratios and adjusted, adding more black beans and corn to our bake.

Quinoa Enchilada Bake

1 cup cooked quinoa
1/2 cup corn
1/2 cup black beans
15oz can green enchilada sauce
1/2 cup diced tomatoes
1 can diced chilis
1 cup grated cheddar cheese
1 cup grated mozzarella cheese

Mix all ingredients together, saving half the cheese. Pour mixture in 8x8 baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses. Bake at 350 for 25 minutes or until cheese is melted and heated through.

It really doesn't get easier than that! It was the perfect quick dinner that I was able to throw together right after church. I topped it with some tortilla chips to add an extra crunch. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...