18.11.13

Getting my butt kicked by Jillian Michaels

Jillian Michaels kicked my butt tonight! As I type this my arms are shaky and my husband is grouchy...a good indication that it was a hard work out! I use to hate workout videos. They really are pretty tough for only 20 minutes! But then we moved away from a gym and I would rather stay home than drive across town...and now we do workout videos.

Bart and I have decided to run the Ogden Marathon next Spring and decided we needed to do a little strength training along with our running routine. Tonight was the first night of strength training. I have a feeling we're going to be a bit sore tomorrow!

I have been dealing with an inner battle for the majority of 2013 when it comes to working out and exercising. When I first started my Hashimoto's treatment I had to stop all kinds of physical activity. Short of going on a walk...I was more or less assigned to the couch. I hated it! I missed running with Bart and going to the gym most days of the week. I missed pushing my body and making my muscles hurt. However I quickly got over it and within a month was thoroughly enjoying sitting on the couch. It made sense that I couldn't exercise since I was barely eating enough calories to sustain life (or so it felt)...much less an active one. During my time on the couch I also lost 20 pounds. Why in the world would I want to get off my butt and do something??

Once I got the OK to exercise I didn't go to the gym..I hit the pavement. I started running and really that's all I did. 4 days a week I ran and ran and ran and eventually I ran 13.1 miles. It was awesome! I felt strong and healthy and pretty dang cool. Once the race was over I went back to my couch (literally and figuratively) and it's been hard to get off of it!

I use to exercise and work out because I was worried I would gain weight if I didn't. I didn't feel good about myself if I sat around all day. I felt tired and insecure. Then I was diagnosed with Hashimotos and once I started the treatment I felt amazing-without going to the gym once. See the problem? I no longer gain weight randomly if I don't exercise for a week. I don't feel tired or fat or sluggish. I just feel normal and a bit lazy.

I need to re-train my brain to think of working out as a way to make me stronger-no thinner. a way to prevent injury and become faster. There are so many benefits to regular exercise that has nothing to do with a smaller waist....I just need to remember that when it's time to do something!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...