2.7.11

God Bless the USA

Love your country.  Your country is the land where your parents sleep, where is spoken that language in which the chosen of your heart, blushing, whispered the first word of love; it is the home that God has given you that by striving to perfect yourselves therein you may prepare to ascend to him.  ~Giuseppe Mazzini

If tomorrow all the things were gone,
I’d worked for all my life.
And I had to start again,
with just my children and my wife.

I’d thank my lucky stars,
to be livin here today.
‘ Cause the flag still stands for freedom,
and they can’t take that away.

And I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

From the lakes of Minnesota,
to the hills of Tennessee.
Across the plains of Texas,
From sea to shining sea.

From Detroit down to Houston,
and New York to L.A.
Well there's pride in every American heart,
and its time we stand and say.

That I’m proud to be an American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

And I’m proud to be and American,
where at least I know I’m free.
And I wont forget the men who died,
who gave that right to me.

And I gladly stand up,
next to you and defend her still today.
‘ Cause there ain’t no doubt I love this land,
God bless the USA.

So Bart and I and some friends went to USU and watched a firework show. About half way through I realized that I need to be more patriotic, more appreciative of my country.

It seems like these days all I hear is complaints about the country, all of the things that are wrong with it and I think we forget just how lucky and blessed we are to be here in the first place.

No The United States of America isn't perfect, yes this country isn't in the best of shape and various leaders (regardless of your political affiliations) do things that don't make sense to a lot of people. But we are still blessed. This is still a blessed country and I think people need to remember that more often, including myself.

I see patriotism as more than just wearing red, white and blue for one weekend out of the year. I know I need to be better and remember this country in my prayers more often.



I like to see a man proud of the place in which he lives.  I like to see a man live so that his place will be proud of him.  ~Abraham Lincoln

We can't all be Washington's, but we can all be patriots.  ~Charles F. Browne
  
Patriotism... is not short, frenzied outbursts of emotion, but the tranquil and steady dedication of a lifetime.  ~Adlai Stevenson


A man's country is not a certain area of land, of mountains, rivers, and woods, but it is a principle; and patriotism is loyalty to that principle.  ~George William Curtis
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...