20.7.15

3 things a retired hairstylist has to say

I just got home from getting a hair cut and you guys! I'm dying. I was a hairstylist for over 7 years and still consider myself one. Unfortuately I don't have a regular person who I can depend on to keep it trimmed which means I get to have a random person cut it each time. Luckily it always ends up OK but I couldn't help and make a mental note of advice/tips/complaints/COMMON SENSE/etc that I had for this girl. Since I'm not a crazy person I didn't say any of this to her face -even though I really wanted to- and to be honest I think she would be come so much better if she listened to me *angel face emoji*. If she had been effing it up I would have said something, but the haircut in the end turned out OK (not great, but I can work with it)

1. TALK TALK TALK. I'm not even asking for small talk, I get that not every hairstylist is chatty but girlfriend, you better be talking about my hair. She asked me how I wanted it cut and then didn't say more than 10 words the rest of the time.
No asking me how I styled my hair, no follow up questions, NOTHING.
I was dying.
She started parting my hair the wrong way and I had to correct her. She then starting cutting it with a very distinct part (that I don't have) and I didn't say much because you never know what kind of groove a hair stylist has. I know everyone has their own way of doing things. I know everyone has their own style and order of operations and all that, so I'm not going to jump in with my "assume I know what you're doing" attitude until it gets closer to the end. But really? It's so important to communicate with your client!
This girl had no idea if I straightened my hair or wore it natural. She didn't ask if I used product, if I styled it a certain way- nothing! At the very end I asked to borrow her comb so I could check it all out. I combed everything all back like a slicked-back guy hair cut and said "this is how I wear it" and haha jk jk'd right after and she didn't even blink *big eye emoji*. I about died right there.

2. Have a system. She cut three sections at the top of my head and then moved to the outline and then worked on the sides and HAS SHE CUT THE BACK YET?? She was all over the place and miraculously it all came out even in the end. I don't think I would have been so nervous (or even noticed) had she actually talked to me through the cut, but since it was radio silence all I had to do was study her style. She had some good techniques and I could tell she knew what she was doing, but it seemed like a hot mess. And seeming is just as scary sometimes!

3. Pick wet or dry. This kind of goes along with having a system. Either cut my hair 100% wet or keep it dry. Don't randomly spray water to just get a third of my hair wet and have everything else dry. Is it all starting to dry up on you? Wet it again! No one's hair is the same wet as it is dry. If you cut half of it kind of wet, a piece of it really wet and then a big chunk of it mostly dry you're going to get out of there with an uneven and crappy looking cut. Take the time to get all of the hair wet or keep all of it dry. (oh, and ASK QUESTIONS! Do you see that my hair is kind of curly? Maybe you should ask if I wear it that way or if I blow dry it straight). This is one of my biggest pet peeves. Even when I was working in a salon and watching my coworkers it would kill me slowly inside every time they cut hair with different wet/dry consistency.

Today my hair cut turned out OK (maybe too long in the back, we shall see!) but I am never going to that girl again. Sorry not sorry but when you don't talk to your client, why would they ever want to come see you again? You might hate your job, but you're working so get over it and don't take it out on the person who is paying your bills! Take it from someone who has been on the other side of that cape, I get that most people are mean idiots but you really can't treat everyone that way. Why be a hairstylist if you don't like people? What's the point??

Okay, there's my opinions for the day. Hair is something that brings out some of my best blogging work- check out fun posts (aka me complaining about work) like THIS, THIS and THIS  to see how I felt when I was actually the one doing the cutting :)


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...